Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Giraffe and a Half

My favorite children's book is A Giraffe and a Half by Shel Silverstein. I first heard about this book in a Children's Literature class and I thought it was adorable and I could only imagine how much fun 4 and 5 year olds would have with this book if a group of college students were giggling over it. I also enjoy how the students can read along with the book if they are paying attention and remembering each thing that has been added to the giraffe.

4 comments:

Felicia Bryant said...

Hi Amber, What is this book about?

Amber C. said...

Hi Felicia! It is a really silly book that uses and rhymes and repetition. It really doesn't have a specific storyline, but the kids love it because it is so silly. Here is an excerpt:

If you had a giraffe
and he stretched another half …
you would have a giraffe and a half.
And if you glued a rose
to the tip of his nose …

And … if he put on a shoe
and then stepped in some glue …

And if he used a chair
to comb his hair …

The illustrations are wonderful and silly as well!

If you go to the Shel Silverstein website (http://www.shelsilverstein.com/html/books.asp) and click A Giraffe and a Half you can see a really cute animated illustration of the book.

Felicia Bryant said...

I love it, I was giggling as I was reading it. I will add that to my collection. Thanks

Amber C. said...

Wonderful! I'm so glad that you like it! :)